Foreign Qualification - Supporting Document Requirements for LLCs

To do business in any state other than its formation state, a limited liability company must register to do business in that state; a process that's often referred to as foreign qualification. To foreign qualify, an LLC must file a form generally known as an Application for Certificate of Authority. More than half of the states require that this application must be accompanied by documents that confirm that the corporation validly exists in its home state. To be valid, these supporting documents generally must be obtained within a certain period of time prior to filing for foreign qualification.

CT Corporation has prepared a map that provides a high-level overview of these requirements, both the type of proof needed and the timeframe within which the documents must be obtained. 

Bear in mind that this map addresses only proof of existence documentation. Many states require additional supporting documents, such as an acceptance of appointment by the registered agent, a certificate of name registration, proof of publication, or disclosure regarding the activities/history of the corporation’s principals. States may also impose post-qualification requirements, such as an initial report. 

CT Tip. Corporations must also foreign qualify if they do business in any state other than their incorporation state. You can see a map of the supporting documents required for corporations here.

CT’s foreign qualification experts can assist you with every step of the process.

Talk to a Specialist

Have a specific question about a product? A CT Specialist will follow up with a custom quote along with a comprehensive assessment of your needs.